Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Pick Your Poison

This title came to mind as I was gutty it out in 73 degrees, 100% Humidity & dewpoint @ 70. This figure lets you know the air is lacking serious amounts of oxygen which is sort of required for sprint work. Yeah sprint work not to be confused with speed work. Sprint work is more of effort level at 100% percent rather than speed work which are efforts in the 90-95% range. Woo Hoo!

So as I was saying about gutty it out in these weather conditions, I thought about a recent conversation with a Seattle friend and runner. She was commenting on how hard to motivate yourself to run in the AM when it raining and dark. To me that weather sounds delightful and strangely running in warm temps sounded tempting to her. Grass is always greener sort of conservation.

Six months out of the year here in the Carolinas, it is some varition of hot & humid. Sometimes really hot and low humidity, sometime lower temps but super high humidity like today or you can get socked with a combination of both delightful weather patterns. Too me this is tough to others not so much. To some running in the rain is not so enjoyable, to me it is bliss. Or god for bid, I had to live back home in Michigan, you'd have long, cold & snowy winter. Yikes but doable. So in the end I will say the humidity is my poison but I am getting better & better at dealing with effects on me mentally & phyiscally. But if I got to pick the poison - it would be hands down the long & rainy 6 month stretch in Seattle.

I faced up to it today and feel proud that I didn't let it get the best of me on the track.

No comments:

Post a Comment