Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

It takes a village

I was watching the Olympics and it really struck me how many people it takes to get an athlete to the Olympics to compete. It literally takes a village of people supporting, nurturing, believing in and using their gifts to get an athlete to that level.

Greatness is not therefore the effort of one individual athlete but a collective energy that propels that athlete to greatness and excellence.

You are the sum of the 5 people you surround yourself! Think about those people - are they people that challenge you to be the best you? Are they people that love you, support you, believe in you, and work to elevate you? I believe Oprah said it best -



I know that I worked to surround myself with the best people around that love, support & believe in me - my family, friends, running partners, coach, PT, massage therapist, Chiro and an ART guy.

After a tumultuous year of having a few personal relationships that didn't met this criteria. I learned the value of this very ideal. Learn to guard myself and uphold these values in my relationships. I only let people in that know my heart, except me and do not judge, for that is love. And I commit to them in the same manner - love without judgement.

"Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it." Proverbs 4:23

Our time here is limited, I learned that only people that will love and support you are where you need to spend your energies.

No comments:

Post a Comment