Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Taking a peak...


 Great quote from Eleanor Roosevelt


I have known or rather believed with all my heart that there has to be good stuff underneath and within just waiting for the dust to clear so I can see how good the fitness is. I have worked for a really long time at this and there have been so many miles banked in that fitness warehouse. I have gotten peaks of it every once in a while throughout the months. Those tiny peaks have been enough to keep me holding on and working even when the troubles seem aplenty.

Today I got another peak and it was just a peak but it is enough for me to know that when I feel good than amazing stuff can happen.

Today I ran I had a 3 w/u, 4 uptempo miles, 2 c/d & 4 X 400 Downhill repeats. Nothing special about the uptempo portion but I held on to a pace that would normally be easy. I didn't get down mentally when the target pace didn't come, I just focused on effort not on pace. Uptempo should feel like a marathon pace effort pace a bit slower. I ran the miles 8:23, 8:27, 8:23, 7:57 - Goal of this was just to find my rhythm, focus on form, and relax into a sustained effort.. I did just that and never allowed any fears to enter the mind. I just keep thinking last week a 8 minute mile would had have me on the side of the road gasping for air. So staying in a place gratitude knowing I am getting there and it will all come back. I think keeping myself happy and satisfied with whatever effort was possible allowed for the downhill repeats to be gems. Last week I did the same downhill repeat in the range of 7:48 working down to 7:10. Today I was shocked when I effortless hit the first one at 6:48, 6:23, 6:18, 6:05. Same work as last week but a whole minute faster!

Goal of these downhill repeats is to really beat up the quads and focusing on a nice, relaxed downhill stride.

This run had me believing in the underlying fitness and on the right day when I am rested and the TSH is the normal range anything is possible.

The best is yet to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment