Powered By Blogger

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Dreaming of that Perfect Race & Having Strength

So I was reading a blog of another runner, this one of an elite runner preparing for the Trial this weekend.

"In running, more than any other sport, we train every day dreaming of that perfect race where everything comes together in unison and the hard work finally seems worth it. It's a brutal sport because there is often not much reward for the hard work which nearly every distance runner puts forth."

This is so true especially for the marathon. In other events you can get away with tummy issues, lack of sleep, dehydration, a bit of muscle tightness but the marathon does not let you have a weak stop, you just have to pray and hope that all your hard work comes together in this magical way that is the "perfect race". We runners know these magical days exist as we have experienced them before where everything just falls into place and you are able to do what you set out to do. Oh these are the races that all of our hearts & mind seek. These races make every run in the heat, humidity, wind and rain worth it; every injury and bad workout would be wiped permanently from memory. All in a sweet victory over all the obstacles that were etched in your path.

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go
through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.


I think this quote defines distance runners more than anything! Our strength is in our struggle to be best people and runners we can be! We come through the hard times with a sense of purpose to contiune to fight for our desired path no matter what!

I think some may think this path is easy for me. For many see my life and think it is easy for her and without sacrifice & hardship. It is not easy for me - I have the same obstacles that everyone else's has and I have moments when I want to give up when these obstacles become so heavy on my heart or body. I have sick kids, sleepless night with sick kids, carpooling kids, kids activities, homework, a husband that gets weary from helping or feels ignored, i have to support & love my family and friends, struggles with keeping my household together, struggle with disappointing others because I want to purse my passion, a body that wants to quit because it so tired or is experiencing an injury and a mind that say F*** it sometimes.

I may get weary but at the end of the day my spirit is stronger than my body & mind and I will never give up! So sometimes it is harder in life to press on, be strong and keep your chin up when all seems to be going wrong. I will always pick myself up when I get knocked down, dust of the dirt and become more determined. No mattter what happens I will always succeed if I get up one more time than I fall.

Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment