Powered By Blogger

Thursday, December 15, 2011

It's not between me and them anyway...

People are often unreasonable, illogical and self centered;
Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies;...
Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.
What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.
The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you've got anyway.
You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and your God; It was never between you and them anyway.
This poem or quote by Mother Teresa has freed me up so much emotionally let go of past hurts and forgive and give love rather than withhold love or kindness for fear being hurt or used again. Withholding this part of me was just hurting me in the end and when I let go and forgave and recommitted myself to giving mybest to everyone and everything (within reason) it was the most amazing feeling of peace.
I experienced this peace yesterday when my car was broken into while I was out running. Funny how you can be enjoying one of the best runs onthe most sunny & glorious day and unbeknown st to you are credit card is being used all over town. After this amazing run, I open up my car to grab my water and my passage window was open. Funny I don't remember leaving it down and than I see the shattered glass fragments. Blah!!! I walk around to the car to see the whole window out! There are several people in the parking all offering help. We immediately call the police. And than I remember when I left for my run, ther we these two fellas just sitting in their car. One got out and walked past me into the bathrooms. I remember feeling unsafe as he passed me but as soon as he went in the bathrooms I made my way onto the busy greenway and didn't give it another thought until the moment I realized my purse was stolen. They watched me from there car and waited for me tor leave, smashed my window, and charged $1000 at Target within 30 minutes and than made their way to TJ Max for some Christmas shopping. Luckily I realized my phone was not in my purse by in my jacket which was in the back set. Phewy! That would have sucked because Nick had just replaced my phone the evening before. All they got was my wallet with credit cards and no cash so nothing more than a hassle really.
Anyway back to the poem, It is funny because I am not mad or upset at those fellas who did this but rather a sort of compassionate sadness for them. It this poem is now sitting in my head to help me navigate the not so nice & kind situations. It is peaceful to keeo in mind that it is not between me and them but between them and their god.

No comments:

Post a Comment