Powered By Blogger

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Thank you Dr. Seuss

Anytime I hit a bump in the road, I like to grab the book "Oh the Places you will go" By Dr. Seuss.
If you haven't had the pleasure of reading this book in a while than it is a must grab book from your children's bookshelf. If it isn't on your children's bookshelf than it a must for a Christmas present. Or if you don't have children buy this book as a gift to yourself.
I found myself recently cheering marathoners at the half-way point on the Thunder Road course - Cheering - "You have places to go, get on your way" or "Today is your day, you have mountains to move, get on your way". I think the runners were so taken off guard by the words that they were startled out of their haze and smiling. Just maybe those words helped them through the next 13 miles. I know that many of the pages of this book are filled with so much wisdom that have brought me out of the sadness of disappointment, frustration when things are happening as I had hoped or they are the reassurance of the happy confidence that I had been feeling.
Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You're off to Great Places! You're
off and away!“ - Dr. Seuss
Remembering that life will have its life ups & downs that you can choose how to repsond. Remembering that you have the power to choose with path you want to go down if you are in the right mind set.
You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll
decide where to go.
You'll look up and down streets.
Look 'em over with care. About some you will
say, "I don't choose to go there."With your head full of brains and your
shoes full of feet, you're too smart to go down any not-so-good street.
Dr. Seuss
In a marathon and the marathon training, you will have ups and downs. There will be times and days you don't want to go on but on you go through weather be foul. There will be times when odds are stake against you with life getting in the way of your goals. I, myself, have experienced my share in this training cycle - asthma and allergies, husbands work schedule making him late a lot, kids getting sick and interrupting my training schedule, kids getting sick and getting me sick with the tummy bug, tight hip flexors, tight glutes, tight hamstrings, tight you name it, loss of energy, calf strain, loss of motivation, and the list could go on..Life will always get in the way....
OH! THE PLACES YOU'LL GO!
Except when you don't.Because, sometimes, you won't.
I'm sorry to say so but, sadly, it's true that Bang-ups and
Hang-ups can happen to you.
Just deciding to push on can be so powerful and know that these hangs up and bangs up are just a test to see if you really want something bad enough. Would a journey be truly worth wild if you didn't meet with challenges. These challenages make the journey and accomplishment so much sweeter.
I recently told my friend Kim about her next marathon build up, yes it will be hard but we wouldn't be doing this marathon thing if it were easy. We don't go for the easy route. If something you truly wanted was just handed over without immense effort - what would it be worth in your heart??? It is the work and effort that goes into the accomplishment that makes it worth gold in your heart.
Be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Brayor Mordecai Ali Van Allen
O'Shea, You're off the Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain
is waiting. So...get on your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment